1. Christ is gone up; yet ere He passed
From earth, in Heav’n to reign,
He formed one holy Church to last
Till He should come again.
2. His twelve Apostles first He made
His ministers of grace;
And they their hands on others laid,
To fill in turn their place.
3. So age by age, and year by year,
His grace was handed on;
And still the holy Church is here,
Although her Lord is gone.
4. Let those find pardon, Lord, from Thee,
Whose love to her is cold:
Bring wanderers in, and let there be
One Shepherd and one fold.
5. And now we haste with thankful feet
To seek our Savior’s face;
And in the holy Church to meet,
His chosen dwelling place.